Tuesday, March 30, 2010

March 30, 2010

Not much has happened in the last few days since I blogged. Brinley is feeling better, but the poor thing is SO sick of rice! She almost cried at the lunch table today when Mercedes served stir-fried cabbage, carrots, peppers and onions over rice. Everyone liked it and ate it, but poor Brin just left the table and sat outside reading her book. I was going to make her a fried egg sandwich, but we were out of eggs. Mercedes felt bad and went and bought 4 eggs from the neighbors. I made her a sandwich, and she scarfed it down with some canned peaches. She is really slimming down between the poor appetite and increased activity. Even my boys have noticed and complimented her!

Homework seems to be the hot topic for yesterday and today. The kids are somewhat behind, and have become a little lazy and unfocused. Braeden is working hard finally at catching up. Brinley is caught up, and found a book at Fr. Jack's gringo room. It's called "The Five People You Meet in Heaven." It must be good, because she hasn't put it down much for the past 2 days.

I read the book "Water for Elephants.".....a phenomenal book. Anyone who works in Long Term Care should definately read it! I got a pedicure last evening. What an experience that was. Seriously, I soaked my feet in a basin with a garbage bag in it. Well, they do what they can with what they have! It took over an hour, and cost me only $7! I also had Walter, a reflexologist and massage therapist work on my neck/shoulders last evening. I got a 1 1/2 hour treatment for ....you won't believe it......$10.00!!! Today I am without a headache.

I was at the Medical Post this morning working. I saw the 14 year old I blogged about earlier, who just gave birth. Turns out she had a C-section. She was crying and in a lot of pain. Please understand, that in Peru, pain medication is not really utilized like in the States. So she's had nothing post-op for pain. When I removed her bandages, I expected to see an infected incision site. To my surprise, it was very clean. Dr. Luis came in, looked at it, and walked out. I cleaned the wound and re-bandaged it. Then, with my best "Spang-lish", I tried to instruct her about massaging her abdomen. Her uterus was boggy, and so I made her more miserable by massaging her uterus and showing her how it needs to feel like a hard ball inside. This little girl, age 14, just a child herself is on her own--now with a baby to care for. It's just SO SAD!!!

The young man with the stab wounds was also in today. I was the assistant again for Dr. Luis to check the wounds. We took out several stitches. Just as an example, the laceration to his upper shoulder blade--about 4 inches long, only had 3 stitches in it! Now any nurse or medical person reading this will know what I saw next.....Dr. Luis took out the 3 stitches and I saw clear down to the muscle. He was moving the flesh around and it was separated from the muscle. Yep. Good 'ole nurse that I am, about hit the floor when he started screaming in pain!!! But the miracle part is that I don't see any infection starting in any of the wounds......they are doing something right!!

Monique and her group went up into the mountains to another village today. They will return on Thursday and leave already on Friday. Wilder is with them, along with a few kids from the choir.

So this is Holy week, and I learned today that there's no Saturday evening mass......The mass is actually on Sunday at 3:30 AM!!!!! This will be yet another great cultural experience for us!! The kids are already whining about it.......oh well......heard it's quite expectacular!!

Well, gotta go. Need to go downtown to find a color printer to print off some photos. My friend Patricia is doing some sketches for some of my friends.

Until Next Time,
Collette

No comments:

Post a Comment